Ethical Job Seeker Limited understands that your privacy is important to you and that you care about how your personal data is used. We respect and value the privacy of everyone who visits this website, www.ethicaljobseeker.co.uk (“Our Site”) and will only collect and use personal data in ways that are described here, and in a way that is consistent with our obligations and your rights under the law.
Ethical Job Seeker Limited provides online and remote work-finding services to its clients and work-seekers. The Company must process personal data (including when legally required, special category or ‘sensitive’ personal data) so that it can provide these services. In so doing, the Company acts as a data controller.
1.Information We Collect
We collect information about you when you use our site. We receive and store this information when you enter it on our website, send it to us, or provide it to us in any other way
1.1 Work Seekers – Information from you
- Registering on our site: If you create a profile for our site or register for job alerts, we will collect data from you. The minimum data we will collect would be your name, email address, your location (city or town) and for job alerts your work-based preferences. You may also choose to upload details such as a CV, photo, cover letter etc. We will keep this information for as long as you decide to have an account with us. If you wish to remove your account, please contact us using the online contact form.
- Applying for a vacancy managed by Ethical Job Seeker Limited: We provide vacancy management services to our clients which involves recruitment advertising and shortlisting services such as application sifting and telephone screening. If you apply for a vacancy being managed by us, we may collect more data from you to assess your suitability for the role. This may include your CV, previous work history, qualifications, salary details. In terms of more sensitive personal data we may collect more sensitive information such as nationality for eligibility to work and health information including any disability and criminal offences data. If you choose to apply for and undertake any assessments as part of an application managed by Ethical Jobseeker on behalf of clients, we will also maintain a record of your responses to and results of those assessments. Ethicaljobseeker.co.uk will only collect sensitive personal data when managing a vacancy on behalf of a client where there is a legal basis for doing so. This data will be stored in our secure applicant tracking systems. You are under no obligation to provide the Company with data. However, if you do not provide certain information, we will not be able to assess your application. If we have managed your data as part of a job application, this data will be held in our applicant tracking system. We will only hold this information for as long as the purpose for which the data was collected continues, for employment regulations this would typically be one year. It is then archived or destroyed unless its retention is required to satisfy audit, legal, regulatory, or accounting requirements or to protect our interests.
1.2 For Employers/Recruiters – Information from you
- Contact information like name, business email address, business street address, and phone number.
- Information imported by you from third party applications.
- Information you provide to us when you contact Ethical Jobseeker.
- Credit card number and billing information (for client services requiring payment).
- Information about your business, such as company name, size, and business type.
- We will keep this information for as long as you decide to have an account with us. If you wish to remove your account, please contact us using the online contact form.
1.3 Other information you may provide
Referrals: We may collect from you, personal information about others. For instance, if you choose to use our service to share site content with a friend, we will ask you for your friend's name and email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the site. We temporarily store this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email.
1.4 Information automatically collected about you
We gather certain information automatically when you visit our site. This information includes:
- Your activity on Ethical Jobseeker, including the jobs you search for, view, and apply to.
- Your internet protocol (IP) address and internet service provider (ISP).
- Your browser type and device ID.
- the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.).
- operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data.
This data is collected about you automatically and is processed for Ethical Jobseeker’s legitimate interest. We combine this information with personal data to help detect and prevent fraud. We also combine this data with your profile and CV data to return the best job search results to you.
1.5 Information collected about you from third parties
When managing vacancies, we may collect publicly available information about you from other websites such as job boards and networking sites. We may use this information to contact you to promote job opportunities and other services to you.
We may also receive your data from a client we are working with when providing vacancy management services. We may use this information to contact you to assist in the recruitment process.
2. How We Use Information
We use the information we collect to provide our services, respond to you, to operate and improve our site, and to create a positive user experience. We use information with your consent as described at the time we collect that consent. This includes account creation, CV upload and vacancy management.
2.1 We use personal data for our legitimate interests, namely:
- To provide Ethical Jobseeker services.
- To contact and communicate with you when you contact us.
- To analyse, improve and optimise Ethical Jobseeker services.
- To protect Ethical Jobseeker Services and the rights of users and others.
- To enforce terms of Ethical Jobseeker’s services and prevent fraud and abuse of Ethical Jobseeker systems.
- To comply with any legal obligations that we are subject to.
2.2 Your consent
By registering with Ethical Jobseeker, by managing your profile, by publicly posting information, or by opting in when presented with choices, you have consented for us to use your information to provide you with our services in the following ways:
- to create an Ethical Jobseeker account for you and hold your information including any CV you upload
- to enable you to search for jobs and share them with others
- to enable you to apply for jobs
- to help potential employers find your CV and contact you (if you have opted in)
- to enable you to contact us and for us to respond to you
- to display targeted recruitment messages from employers
- to contact you with service-related communications and security updates
2.3 For marketing
If you register on the Website, we will only send you information and marketing which relates to our recruitment services such as:
- to send you job alerts, newsletters, career advice, or other marketing communications you have opted in to receive.
- to inform you of other products or services available from Ethical Jobseeker or its affiliates.
- to conduct (and publish the results of) surveys, promotions, and contests.
If you consent to receive marketing material using your contact preferences, you may change your mind at any time.
2.4 To improve our services
- to give search engines access to public information.
- to conduct analytics and generate internal reports about the use of our site.
- to track which jobs you search for, view, and apply to.
2.5 For security and fraud prevention
- to detect, investigate and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal; and
- to make suggestions and draw inferences about you. For example, we may make suggestions about additional jobs, products or services that might be of interest to you.
- Some of our products and services, such as our CV and profile database enable third parties to see your personal information and to contact you.
- Information you post in public areas of the Ethical Jobseeker site or make visible in the CV and profile database may be accessed, used, and stored by others. Although our site is focused on recruiting in the UK, some employers may be located inside and outside the European Economic Area including those in countries that might not have the same level of legislation that guarantees adequate protection of personal information as in the UK. While Ethical Jobseeker takes measures to safeguard your information from unauthorised access or inappropriate use, Ethical Jobseeker does not control these third parties and we are not responsible for their use of information you give to us. Accordingly, you should not post sensitive information or any other information you would not want made public, to our site or to a public website.
3. How We Share Information
We provide you with a platform to publicise information about yourself to maximise your career opportunities. Save where it is necessary to do so to provide you with the Website's recruitment services, we do not share your personal data with third parties. This Company will not sell trade or rent your personal information to others unless you have given us your permission. However, you should be aware that any personal data submitted by you via the internet is at your own risk.
The Company will process your personal data with the following recipients:
3.1 Clients of the Company: By registering with the Website, it is understood that work seekers are actively soliciting contact from prospective employers and recruiters about opportunities which match the work seekers’ fields of interest. If you are a work seeker, we will therefore make your personal data available to recruiters and employers who use the Website to find suitable candidates for specific roles that they are seeking to fill. Your data will also be available to our team of inhouse account managers for assessing your suitability for opportunities when engaged by clients for vacancy management services. Although the primary purpose of the Website is to allow work seekers, prospective employers and recruiters to find each other, work seekers have the ability to control the extent to which personal data is shared with other recruiters and prospective employers through the “Communication/Privacy Settings” section of the “your account” section on the Website. In the event we are managing the initial screening for the vacancy, any information about your application relating to a specific job will be stored securely in our applicant tracking system. Any Sensitive data collected as part of this screening is only collected when legally required and shared with clients with your consent.
3.2 Service Providers: Other companies hired to provide services on Ethical Jobseeker’s behalf, including our applicant tracking system provider Recruitive Ltd. We share your information with service providers, which are third parties who help deliver our products and services to you. Examples of these services include hosting our web servers and site databases, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, providing customer management tools, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. These companies will have access to your personal information as necessary to perform their functions, but they may not use that data for any other purpose. We will remain responsible for any information shared in this way.
3.3 Other third parties with consent. We disclose information to third parties when you give your consent for us to do so. For example: If you make your CV searchable or if we collect information you’ve made available on a public website then all parties with access to the relevant services will have access to your information; if you opt in to receive information about the products or services of third parties, we supply your contact information to those third parties so they may contact you.
3.4 Other third parties where required by law. We disclose information if legally required to do so, or if we believe in good faith - after considering your privacy interests and other factors - that such action is necessary to: (a) meet legal requirements or comply with legal process; (b) protect our rights or property or our affiliated companies; (c) investigate fraud, prevent a crime or protect national security; or (d) protect the personal safety of users or the public.
When your personal data is shared with a third party, as described above, we will take steps to ensure that your personal data is handled safely, securely, and in accordance with your rights, our obligations, and the third party’s obligations under the law. Although we are focused on recruiting in the UK, some employers may be located inside and outside the European Economic Area.
We may disclose and transfer personal information to a third party who acquires any or all of Ethical Jobseeker’s business units, whether such acquisition is by way of merger, consolidation or purchase of all or a substantial portion of our assets. In addition, in the event Ethical Jobseeker becomes the subject of an insolvency proceeding, such information will be disposed of in a transaction approved by the court. You will be notified of the sale of all or a substantial portion of our business to a third party by email or through a prominent notice posted on the site.
We only use Session Cookies, which are removed after the website session is ended or the browser window is closed. The Session Cookie is only used to enhance the user experience and we do not retain any identifiable information.
All other cookies are dealt with either by social media websites or by google cookies.
5. Access to and Storage of Your Personal Information
5.1 Storage: Your data is submitted to Ethical Job Seeker Limited, to provide our services to you we must process personal data (including when legally required, special category or ‘sensitive’ personal data). In so doing, the Company acts as a data controller. Data is stored in a database on servers situated in the United Kingdom provided by our recruitment software partner Recruitive Ltd. GDPR imposes restrictions on the transfer of data outside of the EU. Recruitive Limited only use UK based datacentres and have appropriate data processing agreements in place with suppliers. All Datacentre suppliers are ISO27001 certified.
5.2 Data Retention:
- If you have an account: We retain all the information we gather about you to make your continued use of our services more efficient, practical, and relevant. We keep your personal information until you tell us to remove it or until we determine you are no longer using your account. You can modify or remove your account information at any time by logging in to your account and making the desired changes or by contacting us using the online contact form.
We will send you an email to confirm that your personal information has been removed. We may retain your personal data even after you have closed your account if reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations (including law enforcement requests), meet regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, investigate security incidents, prevent fraud and abuse, enforce our User Agreement, or fulfil your request to “unsubscribe” from further messages from us. We will retain anonymised information after your account has been closed.
- If we have managed your data as part of a job application. This information is stored in our applicant tracking system, we will only hold this information for as long as the purpose for which the data was collected continues for employment regulations this would typically be one year. It is then archived or destroyed unless its retention is required to satisfy audit, legal, regulatory, or accounting requirements or to protect our interests.
5.3 Access to your Personal Data:
You may access, update, or remove your CV or profile information at any time. To do so, sign in, to your account, go to your CV or profile, and make the desired changes. If you do not have an account, or if you believe that someone else has provided us with your contact information, please contact us. You also have the rights to data portability and to request that Ethical Jobseeker restrict processing data about you.
We will respond to information access requests within a reasonable timeframe. If we require additional time to provide access to your information, we will acknowledge receipt of your request within a reasonable timeframe and promptly supplement our response within the time required by applicable law.
You are responsible for keeping your password secret.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We utilise a variety of safeguards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once it is received. Ethical Jobseeker and our software suppliers take appropriate measures to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorised access, use, alteration, or disclosure.
You should be aware that CVs and profiles which are visible may be viewed by your current employer.
For clients, when you place an order online at Ethical Jobseeker, your credit card information is encrypted with industry standard encryption.
An Important Note about what you publish online
When you post a CV or create a profile, we store it in our CV and profile database in the United Kingdom. You may control the status of your profile by setting it to visible or private. Visible CVs can be viewed by anyone with access to our CV and profile database. We cannot control the retention, use or privacy of CVs that have been viewed or downloaded by others.
Private CVs will not be visible in our CV and profile database. You may still use your private CV to apply online to a job. If you apply with a private CV, it will be transferred to the relevant employer, who may retain a copy of it.
We attempt to limit access to our CV and profile database to legitimate users but cannot guarantee that other parties will not gain access to this database. Once your CV has been disclosed, Ethical Jobseeker is not able to retrieve it from the third parties who accessed it. Therefore, it is essential that you do not put sensitive information, personality profiles, or other information you would not want made public, including:
- Bank or Credit Card Details
- Date of Birth
- National Insurance Number
- National identification number such as passport details
If you do give us this information, then you agree that it is at your own risk. There is more information on safe job searching online safely in the candidate section of our site. We would recommend that you do not include the personal data of a reference in your CV, if it is included, it is your responsibility to ensure that the person is aware that you have forwarded his/her details and has consented in writing for you to do so.
Ethical Jobseeker is not intended for, nor do we knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 18.
This policy was updated on 20th May 2020.
Ethical Job Seeker Limited
2nd Floor 48 West George Street