Global Action Plan is looking for inspiring and engaging individuals with an ability to motivate and empower young people and their teachers through the Transform Our World programme.
We are looking for people to work with schools in Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham and Bristol
Transform Our World is providing thousands of high quality environmental social action opportunities to schools in the UK. It offers an online resource hub, training for teachers, in-depth support to schools with disadvantaged pupils to embed environmental social action and national events that raise the voice of young people in shaping decision-making. Transform Our World is developing a regional network of “beacon environmental schools” that will act as high-profile demonstrations of what school communities can do when they come together to champion compassionate values and practical environmental action.
You will work closely with specific schools in Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham or Bristol, to engage a small group of students in social action and through them reach the whole school community. With your encouragement, groups of students in selected schools will engage with their peers and others in their local community and lead on environmental social action projects. Through this, you will help them to learn engagement techniques, project and budget management, project delivery and evaluation techniques while making a difference to their school, the neighbouring community and the environment.
As well as working with young people directly, you will support the school to develop and deliver plans to take broader, deeper environmental action and to evaluate the impact of activities, with students in the driving seat.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual who will:
- Work with small groups (up to 10) of KS2 and KS3 students in 2 secondary schools and 6 primary schools
- Coach students through the set-up, delivery and evaluation of their project (we will provide training in YSA methods and coaching materials)
- Complete regular and accurate reporting of each YSA group using systems provided
- Work with other Global Action Plan staff to capture stories and content to showcase the projects
- Liaise with a lead teacher in each school to arrange a regular time, space and suitable supervision for meetings with students
- Ensure safeguarding and risk assessments for all group activities are completed and that GAP policies are adhered to throughout the programme
- Work with each secondary school to identify and reach out to 3 feeder primary schools to take part in the scheme
- Establish strong relationships with 8 disadvantaged schools to take part in the programme and become ‘Beacon Schools’ for Transform Our World
- Be responsible for the funding applications and budget management of these funds from each YSA group (8 groups in total)
- Encourage and support secondary schools to join their local UK Schools Sustainability Network
Key skills and experience
You will be an inspiring, driven and organised individual with a track record of inspiring young people to take action on environmental or social issues. In addition we are looking for:
- Work experience in a youth engagement, teaching or youth work setting to engage, motivate and support young people
- Have a good understanding of health and safety and safeguarding practices, including in an outdoor setting
- Experience of delivering social or environmental action
- Interest in environmental and social change
- Understanding of and commitment to the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the aims and values of GAP’s funders, #iwill
- Experience of working with young people from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Youth work qualification, coaching/mentoring qualification or equivalent experience
- Experience of working in partnership with community organisations, businesses and local authorities
- Experience of designing, delivering and evaluating campaign or social action projects
- Good IT skills including Microsoft programmes, databases and social media
- Ability to evaluate learning experiences and outcomes
- Know about budget management or grant applications
- Know about the environmental education sector
- Management or coaching training
The role will report to the Schools Programme Manager. An enhanced DBS check will be required for the successful candidate.
To apply for the role, please visit globalactionplan.org.uk/jobs for the full job description and application form.