We are not covered by a public transport route, so it essential that applicants have alternative means of travel.
This is a permanent role, working 35 hours per week. Our college is open Monday to Friday 9.15am to 4.15pm, 45 weeks of the year; therefore your salary will be pro-rata to reflect this.
We use a total communication approach which includes a variety of methods such as BSL / Sign Supported English / On Body Signing / Intensive Interaction /Pictorial Symbols and Symbol Systems (PECS) / Hand Under Hand Exploration / Objects of Reference / Voice Output Communication Aids / Vocalisation, Facial Expression and Body Language
Our timetabled activities, both in house and accessed at other local facilities, ensure the interests of the individual can be explored and used to motivate while encouraging learning opportunities. We celebrate and promote the diverse nature of our learners, embracing fundamental values, whilst encouraging a culture of mutual respect and tolerance. Sessions include Communication , Creative Arts, Therapies & physical activities, Lifeskills and Community Access.
We also offer a wonderful range of enrichment activities such as visits to the cinema, the pantomime, PMLD theatre trips, museum ‘touch tours’ and river trips on a barge specifically adapted to suit those with disabilities
Does this sound right for you?
Working at Sense gives you a wide range of benefits including:
- 24 days’ holiday + bank holiday entitlement; increasing with length of service
- Free DBS Check
- Free leadership and management development (such as our award winning Growing Stronger Leaders Together programme)
- Free access to over 100 online and face to face training including the care certificate.
- On-going development opportunities
- Flexible working and family friendly policies
- Employee referral scheme
- Health and well-being support
- Pension Scheme
- Discount scheme
Your duties can include:
- To support individuals / groups within the centre and community.
- Team members who support learners with core funded educational needs will also carry out the following education related responsibilities under the guidance of senior education colleagues.
- Maintaining a Continuous Professional Development (CPD).
- Representing the college at external professional development events for Support Workers.
- Contributing to Individual Learning Plans/ targets and monitoring progress of these.
- Playing a key role in ongoing assessment of learners
- To provide a customised, responsive and high quality service to people with multiple sensory impairments, physical and/or learning disabilities who use Sense services.
- To deliver services which meet or exceed organisational expectations and standards.
Your required skills and experiences:
- You don’t need to have previous experience in this field– we’re happy to work with you to help you become an excellent support worker.
- Knowledge of multi sensory impairments / learning difficulties is beneficial.
To apply: Click the apply link to be transferred to our recruitment site where you can download the full job description and apply online. To help us to manage our advertising resources please mention Ethical Jobseeker in your application.