Our Python API and platform are integral to our business. In the coming months we will extend that API to provide more functionality to frontend services, create new microservices, replatform from outgrown systems, and continue to level-up our dev-ops, scalability and security.
You will be reporting into Barney Jackson, our Head of Engineering.
COVID-19 Update: All members of the engineering team are currently working from home, it is likely that interviews will be conducted using video call and other tools.
The salary for this role is based on our internal frame work and is up to £75,000 depending on experience
have ownership throughout
- Be hands-on with Python services crucial to allplants’ day-to-day functioning
- Coordinate the planning, execution and release of projects, working closely with the Product team
- Take a leading role in developing strategy for our APIs, infrastructure, and integrations
be a team player
- Work in cross-functional squads with frontend engineers, Product and Marketing to iteratively create sector-leading digital experiences
- Use your expertise to coach junior engineers and level-up our team
- Contribute to hiring and further building out our team of outstanding engineers
- Define how we monitor our API and platform and maintain excellent uptime and response times
- Help us refine our existing development and team processes to work even smarter
- Pursue managerial responsibilities and/or continued individual contribution
- A track record of building extensible Python applications at start-ups or scale-ups
- Proficient with at least one Python web/API framework
- Confident with a common SQL database, such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Ability to effectively trade-off quality and execution speed
- A passion for applying best practices
- Desire to share knowledge and enable others
- Experience working in microservice architecture
- Bonus points for experience building APIs in Flask
The qualifications and experiences above are a guide and we’d still love to hear from candidates with more or less experience, provided the requisite skills can be demonstrated. Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
- Be part of a business with an impact and purpose (we’re also a certified B-Corp!), using commerciality to better serve people & planet
- 32 days holiday (we do not include bank holidays for inclusivity and flexibility), flexible working arrangements, pension plan and stock options from day one
- Healthy lunches, breakfast and snacks every day, and lots of allplants tastings(!) from our exceptional in-house cheffing team
- Collaborative, purpose-built office in Blackhorse Road, on the Victoria line
- A dog-friendly office with cute pooches
- Quarterly socials (we love a good party!) and weekly staff-led activities (football club, netball league and PT sessions in the park)
- Listed as Escape The City’s and Rocket List's top companies to work for
How to apply: Please click the apply link to be redirected to our online recruitment site where you can upload your CV and apply. Please help us track our recruitment advertising and mention Ethical Jobseeker when applying.
frequently asked questions
Do I need to be vegan to work here?
No, you don’t! We’re an open-minded bunch and welcome all diets from plant curious to raw foodist, as long as you resonate with our mission to inspire people to eat more plants!
Where are you based?
Our office, The Greenhouse, is based about 10-minute walk from Blackhorse Road station on the Victoria Line.
However, at the moment our office based staff are working remotely.
What are your working hours?
This varies between teams (for instance our chefs work in shifts which cover from 6am to 10pm, and our new nightshift will be structured to run for 8 hours across the evening) but our standard office hours are 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday. We embrace flexible working and adopt a ‘core hours’ model which is implemented differently from team-to-team.
a fair chance
Every role in the allplants team is open to applications from all sections of society. We believe in the superpowers and potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other difference that makes you, well, you.
More than just encouraging your application, we're committed to conscious inclusion that (we hope) cultivates an ethos of belonging, connection and shared purpose. It’s this philosophy that drove us to contribute to a better world through our allplants purpose and mission, and we open our doors to those who share these motivations.