We are thrilled to offer this exciting role leading and contributing to high profile Environmental projects. Some project management experience is essential, you’ll need to be able to work to deadlines, and have an organised approach to work planning, and prioritisation. You will be a confident and clear communicator and will work proactively to develop community engagement and increased use of the Councils open space, parks and links into the town centre.
It would be an advantage to have experience and knowledge in the environmental field, particularly in parks and open spaces. However, candidates must have an enthusiasm for working in, and bringing improvements to parks and open spaces for the benefit of the community, visitors and wildlife. You’ll need to be educated to degree level (or equivalent) in a relevant subject.
The role is offered as a placement through Change Agents UK. Change Agents UK Trading Ltd works as a non-profit sustainability employment business and is wholly-owned by Change Agents UK Charity. Change Agents UK have worked in Sustainability education and employment for 25 years, supporting our partners to create superb opportunities in sustainability, delivering real impact and change and providing training and skills support for our Change Agents on placement.
The Environmental Project Officer will play an active role in a multi-skilled team at Bedford Borough Council and there will be plenty of opportunities to develop your skills and contribute to the direction of the service.
Do you have the skills and enthusiasm we are looking for to work within the Environmental Services Team to develop your project skills in an environmental field?
Bedford Borough Council has an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Project Officer to enhance and improve Bedford’s Parks and Open Spaces.
As part of the Environmental Services Team, you will work closely with the award winning Parks and Open Spaces service delivery area where you will be able to expand your skills by working on projects that improve the quality of Bedford’s parks, nature reserves, amenity spaces and their facilities for the community, visitors and wildlife. There will also be an opportunity to help out in the prestigious Bedford River Festival Event in July 2022.
We need a dedicated and enthusiastic individual to support the delivery of a number of identified environmental enhancement projects. You will work collectively within the Parks and Open Space Team to help the Council achieve its core objectives through the delivery of a number of Parks projects.
- Experience of working in an environmental or project management role.
- A confident communicator with excellent verbal and written communication.
- A natural collaborator, able to build and maintain effective partnerships.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to co-ordinate work across multi-skilled teams and with key stakeholders.
- Proven experience of writing and presenting reports to senior officers and stakeholders.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to work effectively under pressure, prioritise, forward plan and meet deadlines.
- Experience and strong commitment in the delivery of projects that meet the needs of the customer.
- Able to problem solve using logical, analytical and innovative thinking.
- A team player who celebrates team success and generates a team spirit
- Positive attitudes to the Council’s purpose and values and the way it operates.
- Proficient in IT, particularly all Microsoft Office applications including Excel (Intermediate to Advanced Level)
- Able to travel independently throughout the county (Driving Licence essential)
- Able to identify, recommend and implement changes identified during project delivery
- Highly effective interpersonal, negotiation and influencing skills
- Degree or equivalent specialist experience in an environmental discipline
- e.g. environmental science, geography, conservation, landscape.
- Knowledge and experience of working within/applying health & safety, procurement and other relevant green space asset management. In accordance with legislation, statutory procedures and regulatory requirements.
What’s in it for you?
This is a fantastic opportunity to engage with a variety of partners and community groups to help deliver projects which will enhance Bedford’s Parks and Open Spaces. You will be working with like-minded people and engaging with partners and the community on a range of challenges and opportunities. You will help deliver an event programme, including involvement in the Bedford River Festival 2022 which attracts in excess of 250,000 people. You will build on a variety of core skills including developing and sustaining effective working relationships, communication, negotiation and influencing behaviour change.
You will also be enrolled on to the Change Agents UK skills development programme where you can benefit from the online learning academy and workshops on Sustainability & Skills for the Future, Project Management, Systems Thinking & Creativity.
- Assisting with the delivery of projects to enhance and improve Bedford’s open spaces
- Maintain and develop the delivery of these projects and reporting on performance against agreed work programmes, assigned budgets and deadlines
- Support and contribute to Park projects and linked events.
- Provide guidance and advice to members of the public around any relevant matters directing them to the appropriate place to obtain the information they require.
- Assisting with environmental development projects
- Support Parks & Open spaces team in the Purchase & Procurement tender processes involved in the required projects
- Contribute to all Health & Safety requirements and operational codes of practice at all time, wearing/using safety equipment at all times, adhering to training as directed
CAUK reference: 3440
Work outside normal hours: 26 days pro rata +public holidays
Annual leave: Available to work evenings and weekends as required to attend engagement events and committee meetings, for which time off will be given in lieu.
Probation period: 1 month
Reports to: TBC
Job offers will be subject to suitable right-to-work and reference checks and the successful applicant may be required to undergo a DBS check.
Change Agents UK is committed to reducing inequality, valuing diversity and enabling inclusion. We welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, particularly where there is under-representation. If you need additional support to enable you to complete the application process, please contact us.
Information on placement terms can be found at www.changeagents.org.uk/information-employment-terms
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this role, please submit a CV and short Covering Letter explaining your motivation for applying and briefly addressing the essential criteria for the role (up to 500 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org We also ask you to complete an optional Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Monitoring form; this does not form any part of the selection process but is used to help us monitor the effectiveness of our policy. Please specify in the email subject the job title you are applying for.
You are welcome to get in touch with us with any questions before applying – please email us at email@example.com or call us on 01572 723419
Application Deadline: Ongoing
Telephone Interview: To be arranged by mutual convenience
Interview Date To be arranged by mutual convenience
Anticipated Start Date: 1st July 2022