Through the application of your extensive senior management level experience, along with a strong science background in the area of decarbonisation of energy and mineral raw materials, you will set the direction of BGS science within your science area and lead your team to ensure its delivery.
About the role
As a member of the Senior Management Board (SMB) and the Science Strategy Group (SSG), you will be responsible for working with other senior colleagues to develop the science strategy for BGS, agree and achieve targets for income generation and distribute funding. You will oversee the effective delivery and monitoring of your respective BGS science programme through the line-management of Lead Scientists and the Challenge Programme Manager within your challenge area.
Through the appraisal process, you will assign specific topics to Leading Scientists, ensuring these science topics directly link to the priorities in the strategy and enable integrated and focused science activity. You will also act as a senior manager in relation to all BGS / UKRI processes and procedures, including formal staff management, procurement and funding. Working with the National and International Science Director, Policy Director as well as the Director of Communications and External Affairs, you will ensure that BGS science is promoted to government policy advisers. Additionally, you will identify opportunities to develop BGS’ work, attract new funding and create strategic partnerships to continue to drive BGS’s position as world-leading geological survey and environmental science organisation, delivering a programme of research internationally.
In this role, you are required to have the following priority qualifications, experience, skills and abilities as set out in the essential criteria of the skills specification, for further details, please see full job description and skills specification criteria for this post:
- A PhD in a relevant science discipline or equivalent comparable experience;
- A strong science profile evidenced by for example, peer-reviewed published papers, conference presentations, including key-note addresses, senior journal editorial experience, and a large portfolio of successful scientific grant proposals and industry/government related contract agreements;
- Strong senior management experience with a proven ability to set direction and develop strategy;
- Experience of leading and managing teams to deliver science/business results with a successful track record of overseeing the delivery of projects;
- Experience of identifying commercial opportunities and securing funding for research and delivery of significant projects / programmes;
- Evidence of ability to lead and develop strategic relationships and collaborations with other organisations/Stakeholders, both nationally and at the international level;
- Awareness and understanding of the BGS strategy and Public Science Role as well as wider earth science sector issues;
- Strong communication skills, evidenced by clear examples of good negotiating and influencing skills;
- Ability to handle complex multidimensional problems, overcoming barriers and developing creative solutions to continually improve.
Location: The role will be based at the British Geological Survey (BGS) Headquarters in Keyworth, Nottingham with a requirement to occasionally travel to other BGS offices in Edinburgh, Wallingford, Cardiff or Belfast as well as a requirement to travel nationally and internationally to attend key partnership events or promote the work and science of BGS.
Remuneration: Appointment will be at UKRI Pay Band X and the salary is set at circa £84k to £87k per annum. Benefits include participation in the senior civil service pension scheme, 30 days holiday plus an additional 10.5 public holiday days and an annual opportunity to receive a discretionary non-consolidated bonus.
This is a permanent full-time position but a range of flexible working and hybrid working options will be considered
How to apply
Click the apply link to be transfered to the careers portal. Applicants are required to include a cover letter with their CV, outlining their suitability for this role and providing specific examples of evidence against the above priority essential criteria for the post - Applications are being handled by UK Shared Business Services. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
Closing Date for receipt of applications is 5 December 2021. Interviews are expected to be held on 12 and 13 January 2022.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity across our organisation as well as across all areas of our science community. As such, we aim to have a workforce with employees from all backgrounds with people who are passionate about earth science and who share our commitment to work for the good of the environment and the benefit of society.
We will actively seek to avoid discrimination and we welcome applications from those with all protected characteristics. - BGS is Disability Confident and has achieved Bronze status for Athena SWAN – a scheme that recognises an organisation’s commitment and progress in developing a diverse and inclusive workforce.