Does the idea of creating investments which protect and restore nature excite you? We are looking for an Associate Director to join our leading environmental investment and fund management team to develop innovative financing solutions to society’s and the environment’s most critical issues. Our team works with leading environmental organisations, the private sector, and governments in the UK and internationally to create investment structures that deliver benefits for nature, communities and investors.
Finance Earth are looking to recruit an Associate Director to help our growing environmental impact investment advisory teams. The role offers the chance to work with market leading clients on the cutting edge of the emerging conservation investment market in the UK and internationally.
We are also investors in our people, offering the opportunity for both technical and soft skills development, and unique experiences to grow both professionally and personally.
The Associate Director will be expected to:
- Actively manage client relationships alongside Directors, taking responsibility for the day to day project management and delivery of Advisory assignments. This will include assuming responsibility for managing all phases of advisory projects: project origination, proposal development, stakeholder engagement, analysis of the investment potential of various nature-based or green infrastructure solutions, financial modelling, presentations, and report writing.
- Direct and manage junior Finance Earth colleagues, and support staff on strategic advisory projects, with a particular focus on coaching and contributing to the on-the-job development of junior team members.
- Proactively assist business development efforts including pitching for new work and building and maintaining relationships with a wide range of public, social, corporate entities and financial institutions.
- Oversee and lead product development and refinement, for example: habitat banking models, environmental impact bonds, social and environmental impact investment funds, etc.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the firm, including allocation of resources, staff learning and development, growth opportunities, and other areas.
- Support Finance Earth’s talent management efforts via recruiting, coaching, goal setting, mentoring, and ongoing performance management.
- Contribute to thought leadership and policy influencing, representing Finance Earth at conferences and events and with Government and related decision makers, and writing thought leadership articles etc.
The Associate Director will be integral in our efforts to inspire a movement and will lead a talented team to realise our mission to mobilise capital to drive environmental change. This role represents a unique opportunity to achieve both significant impacts locally for communities in need, and transformative, systemic change for how society looks after the environment at a national level.
Based in our London headquarters, with flexible/ hybrid working arrangements, this position is ideal for candidates who want to combine their prior professional expertise with creativity, innovation and impact. The Associate Director enters the firm during a period of significant growth and will play a unique role in expanding our presence in the investment community.
Skills and Experience
We are looking for an Associate Director with a background in either consulting or financial services and possessing excellent project management and team leadership skills, combined with the ability to develop strong relationships both internally and externally across diverse stakeholders; and a commitment to improving environmental and social outcomes across the UK and globally.
You will have:
- 7 or more years of professional experience including meaningful time spent across one or more of Consulting (Strategy, Management or Financial) or Financial Services (Corporate Finance, M&A, Private Equity or Debt, Transaction Services);
- A strong and demonstrable interest in, and preferably experience in Natural Capital, Conservation Finance, Environmental and/or Social Impact Investment;
- An entrepreneurial personality – welcoming the challenge of helping to create and develop new projects, products and funds that will be at the forefront of a developing impact investment market;
- Proven track record in managing teams, clients, and multiple assignments;
- A track record of project execution across all phases of the transaction cycle from origination to completion;
- Personable team player with the ability to create confidence and trust with colleagues and clients alike;
- Self-motivated, ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and to plan and organise work unsupervised in a logical and efficient manner;
- Ability to identify critical and relevant data sources, and commitment to high quality standards with a detail-oriented approach;
- Ability to operate consistently within business guidelines and ethics and work sensitively in multicultural environments, building effective working relations with clients and colleagues;
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written formats, appropriate to the specific audience, and confidence in engaging with senior stakeholders;
- Computer literacy and excellent written/oral communication skills in English
Ideally you will have:
- Experience of or significant interest in one or more of Green Finance, Natural Capital, Nature Based Solutions, Ecosystems services and markets, Renewable Energy, or Voluntary and Mandatory Carbon Markets;
- Prior experience of working within the environmental or social impact investment sector; or working with charities, foundations, social enterprises, or development finance institutions, either in the UK and/or internationally;
- Business development experience and interest in contributing to ideas on how to win and retain business;
- Sound understanding of business and finance principles (including notions such as project finance, venture capital and private equity, corporate credit analysis, etc.);
- Good understanding of policy in the areas of climate change, resource efficiency, land management, community benefit, and biodiversity;
- Understanding of local government and wider public sector finance frameworks and regulations. Understanding of relevant international finance frameworks.
We do not expect candidates to possess all of these skills and competencies; importantly, what we are looking for is someone who can creatively show how their skills and experience could be adapted to fit this profile, if/where there are gaps.
Our people are our business; we work hard to ensure that they have fulfilling careers and a good work-life balance. We encourage training to make sure our staff are equipped to do their jobs to the best of their abilities and offer flexible working and generous holidays so that staff can both meet client expectations and personal goals.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and a strong team ethic. Finance Earth can provide a superior experience for building and maintaining a professional career in sustainable finance - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow whilst delivering work that is highly impactful and beneficial for our planet. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Opportunity to earn £92,000
- Base salary of £60,000-70,000 per annum depending on experience
- Up to 30% of salary discretionary bonus and discretionary Christmas bonus of up to £1,000
- 25 days holiday plus 2-3 days free at Christmas (plus English bank holidays)
- Potential for hybrid/ remote or flexible working
- Opportunity to become a shareholder after 12 months with a potential dividend allowance
- Generous training budgets with learning and continuous development as a critical element of the way we work; we will support you with individual development, both through external training and coaching from members of the executive team
How to Apply
If you think that you are the right person for this important role in our business, please apply by sending:
- A comprehensive CV
- A cover letter that includes as a minimum:
- A summary of the relevant experience you will be bringing to this role; and
- A personal statement on why you believe the work being undertaken by Finance Earth is necessary to tackle climate change and biodiversity loss, highlighting areas of specific interest.
Applications that do not include a cover letter will be immediately discounted.
Finance Earth is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the disciplines in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.